- I am subject to aging. There is no way to avoid aging.
- I am subject to ill health. There is no way to avoid illness.
- I am going to die. There is no way to avoid death.
- Everyone and everything that I love will change, and I will be separated from them.
- My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.
I came across The Five Remembrances yesterday in a reddit post on /r/Buddhism and even tho they sound horribly morbid I did get a certain amount of comfort from meditating on these things since then. More than I’ve gotten from popular evangelical christianity in the past year, which has left me feeling a wide range of despair.
I’ve hugged my son a lot in the past 24 hours as a result.
Photo Source: Flickr Commons