I blocked an old friend yesterday on Facebook. I’ve got a lot of mixed feelings about this. I don’t know if it was the right thing or not. If we were talking in person, I’d have avoided subjects that we disagree on. It’s difficult to do that on Facebook.
I still love this guy and would do anything for him. Well, anything except subject myself to the barrage of words and ideas from conservative talking points.
My Facebook rules are this:
- If I see something I don’t like, I keep scrolling. No comments. People have the right to post what they want.
- If I keep seeing stuff I don’t like from the same person, I’ll snooze for 30 days.
- If I keep seeing stuff I don’t agree with, I’ll unfollow.
- If they start posting comments on things I post because they don’t like them, I’ll interact begrudgingly.
- If they insist on posting comments on my stuff and it starts to be a time suck for me, then I’ll block.
I have absolutely zero interesting in spending my time trying to convince anyone of anything. As I mentioned in one post, Facebook isn’t the Acropolis and I ain’t Aristotle. If anyone wants to have a discussion or argue, I just don’t have the time or the willpower.
Can we be friends in the real world if one can’t tolerate the other on Facebook?